Policy Document for Parents
Click on the link below to download the latest Policy document for parents.
- We will provide skilled and experienced music teachers to teach thirty 30-minute lessons during the academic year. 45-minute or 60-minute lessons are also available by request.
- Music lessons will occur during the school day in schools with practice rooms. Students are placed on a rotating timetable so that they do not miss the same curriculum lesson each week.
- There is limited availability for lessons before and after school and on a Saturday at the Saturday Academy that runs at GEMS Wellington Academy, Silicon Oasis (WSO). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of enrolment to check availability.
- In schools with no practice rooms lessons will be offered after school in another, local GEMS school or on a Saturday at WSO subject to availability.
- All students are required to have their own instrument (hired or purchased), purchase the recommended repertoire, and pay for exam fees (where applicable).
- Music fees may be paid termly or for the full academic year.
- Parents are notified of registration dates for the upcoming term via email.
- Fees must be paid in full and in advance before the designated registration day.
- Only once payment is made will your child’s instrumental / voice lessons be scheduled.
- Where late payment is made, students will not be entitled to catch up lessons for any lessons missed during the period of non-payment.
- Late registrations will only be considered in the first two weeks of term and are subject to teacher availability.
- We operate a “no refund policy”.
- Payment for lessons indicates an acceptance of the terms and conditions outlined in this policy.
- Refunds will only be issued where lessons cannot be offered in accordance with the terms and conditions as outlined in this policy.
- Exceptional refunds may be granted at the management’s discretion but will incur an AED 350 administrative charge plus a deduction for the number of lessons taught at the time the refund was requested. Approved refunds will normally be by cheque and take a minimum of 20 working days to process.
- We reserve the right to terminate lessons should a student behave inappropriately or frequently miss lessons with no refund available.
- It is the students’ responsibility to ensure they attend lessons punctually. For younger students, parents should write the lesson time each week in the home/school communication book so the classroom teacher can remind the child.
- Students in Years 11, 12 and 13 (Grade 10, 11 and 12) who have study leave during the year will be expected to attend their lessons, which may be arranged at mutually convenient times with the teacher.
- We will reschedule lessons missed due to public holidays and staff absence, and wherever possible, at least one lesson per term missed due to a school event or sick leave.
- We will not be obliged to reschedule lessons missed due to family holidays or outings taken during term time, student forgetfulness, or extended student illness.
- Parents are required to give 24-hour (or more) advance notification to their child’s music teacher in the case of any absence. This increases the likelihood of the teacher being able to schedule a make-up lesson.
- Parents are required to notify the music teacher if a student will be absent from school due to illness before 7:30am on the day of the lesson. This increases the likelihood of the teacher being able to schedule a make-up lesson.
- We will organise appropriate concerts and workshop opportunities for students during the academic year.
- Students will have the opportunity to perform at a range of school and music concerts/workshops if deemed to be concert-ready by their teacher.
- Students will be offered the opportunity to participate in the Saturday Academy Choirs/ensembles as appropriate and may from time to time have the opportunity to be involved in wider GEMS events.
Reporting & Assessment
- Students will be issued with a Practice Diary in which brief instructions on practice tasks will be written by the teacher at the end of every lesson. Parents are requested to remind their child to take their Practice Diary to, and bring it home from every music lesson.
- Our music teachers will provide a progress report at the end of each term. For Terms 1 and 2, this will constitute a brief report in the Practice Diary, and for Term 3, parents will receive a more detailed report. Please note that copies of these reports will be issued by email and will not be held centrally by us.
- We advise students to take lessons only with their designated music teacher. More than one teacher can prove detrimental to a student’s progress.
- Parents are welcome to informally attend their child’s lesson but should seek approval from Music Manager beforehand.
- We will enable individual Parent/Teacher consultations as appropriate or as requested by the parent.
- We expects parents to support and encourage their child’s practice at home and communicate regularly with the teacher through the Practice Diary. Note that a replacement fee of AED 50 will be charged to replace a lost Practice Diary
Any queries, feedback or complaints should be made via email to the music teacher. Alternatively, you can contact our Music Manager at email@example.com.