On Wednesday 25 April, 6pm, the Rajmahal Theatre in Bollywood Park, Dubai Parks and Resorts, came alive with songs from the shows!
This was the third annual GEMS Night at the Musicals, providing an opportunity for GEMS schools to come together and showcase a solo and group item from their school musicals. This year, students also had the fantastic opportunity to work in the Rajmahal Theatre on a professional stage with an amazing technical crew and stage management team.
The 9 entries from schools showcasing their talents this year were:
- GEMS Jumeirah Primary School with musical numbers from “Mary Poppins”
- GEMS Our Own English High School, Al Ain with songs from “The Greatest Showman” and “My Fair Lady”
- GEMS First Point School with numbers from “The Lion King”
- GEMS Wellington Academy, Silicon Oasis (secondary), with numbers from “Dear Evan Hansen”
- GEMS Wellington Academy, Silicon Oasis (primary), with numbers from “Mary Poppins”
- GEMS Our Own Indian School with items from “The Lion King”
- GEMS Our Own English High School, Sharjah, Boys, with numbers from “Les Miserables”
- GEMS Wellington Primary School with items from “Ali Baba and the Bongo Bandits”
- GEMS Wellington International School with numbers from “Mulan” and “High School Musical”
This year we welcomed the returning judges Gina Peach – Producer and DJ from Dubai Eye Radio and Sacha Kilgour – a singer and performer from Abu Dhabi. We were also delighted to welcome to the judging panel for the first time this year Joseph Fowler – the Programming Director for Dubai Opera. Sir Christopher Stone – Chief Education Officer for GEMS – gave the closing words.
Awards were presented as follows:
Best solo performance – WSO (Secondary)
Best group performance – WSO (Primary)
Best overall presentation - WSO (Secondary)
Thank you once again for another splendid night's entertainment. It has been fantastic to be part of this wonderful event for 3 years, and to see the standard grow year on year! - Gina Peach, Judge